Thursday, March 25, 2004

Skate shoes aren't everything

Last night I loaned my Amanda my "Brandston" concert T-shirt, and we snaked our way down Main Street in Dallas to The Gypsy Tea Room to see the Yellowcard/Something Corporate concert. We got lost, found the place, got lost again, and finally found that parking, as I should have recalled, costs anywhere from $2 to $5. We found, and I'm not joking, exactly $5 change between Amanda's purse and the floorboard of the car.
Now, those of you who know me know that I try to side step the mainstream most of the time, but I've loved Yellowcard and Something Corporate since their indie label days, and I wasn't going to miss them just because they were on Columbia. When I arrived at the concert, I could see that most of these people hadn't picked up these bands until they started playing them on MTV. Why did I know this, you ask? Let's just say when I went to the "Deep Elm" label show at the Door, no one was wearing cargo shorts and a "Timberland Boot Company" shirt. Suddenly Amanda's Adidas didn't look so bad. Hey, she's punk at heart. No, she's really not.
I ran into an old chum from LeTourneau days their, too, a one Mr. William Yeomans. He was with another dude I used to work with, Peter. I had to leave him behind to get in the "will call" line, but not before securing him a good spot in the "have ticket" line. You're welcome, Will.
So, of course, the Tea Room is a standing room only type place, and we're pretty close to the front. The people behind us coveting our position decide that the best way to get closer to the stage is to see how much compressed material can be found in the human body, and just started pushing forward. The only thing between me and the girl in front of me was my Levi's. Being married, this is no longer a desirable situation. The best part was the guy "looking" for his friend in the crowd who stepped in front of Amanda to get a better view, obscuring her 5'2 view, and Amanda yelling the lyrics off-key in his ear until he decided it just wasn't worth it anymore.
All in all, great concert. Any concert is good when you walk away with new stickers.