Tuesday, February 03, 2004

Goodbye, Jesse.

Its been a while since I wrote, I know, but you have no right to complain. I don't even know who you are and why you're reading my personal thoughts. Nevermind. I just wanted to write about my dog, Jesse.
See, Jesse was the best dog ever. He was smart, fast, loving, playful, and he was 3. He was everything you could want a dog to be. He was 65 pounds of energy and fun and brain and most of all love. He loved me, I loved him.
I say all of this because yesterday he was hit by a car. And then another. And then after that he still wasn't dead. I promised him I'd always be humane, so I got my dad's .22 and I put him down like I always promised. I told him I loved him first, I reminded him of my promise, I apologized, and then I shot him. That was the hardest thing in the world at the time. While this may sound noble and loving to you, I still feel so much guilt. I was supposed to take care of him, and I did, but I can't get over how. Slowly I feel better, slowly people's prayers are reaching me, slowly I feel God's loving arms wrapped around me telling me its all okay and I did the right thing.
I don't have a point. I don't have to. That's why this is here, for me, not for you. If I made you sad, I'm sorry. But if you have a dog, love him, and know that he loves you. But if he's miserable in a jail, let him out. He'll be happier being hit by a car than locked in a cage. And always remember, love him enough to let him die. With is dying breath, he will know that you are the best master he could have had. You are the best thing that ever could have happened to him. You were his friend, and you loved him. And that's the best gift you can give.