Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Good news for people who like bad news

*ring*
No, that's my work phone, and it sucks. I don't ever answer that phone. I'll let it forward to the other phone sitting right next to it.
*ring*
That's the phone I answer. It has a pretentious headset with a blinky light.
What is said: "I have a repair call for you at the TJMaxx in Longview. Do you have time to do it, or do you have other calls?"
What should be said: "Do you think you can find time between episodes of 'Scrubs' to go fix a cash register or two? Or are you too busy to put on a shirt and get out of the house?"
Either way the answer is the same... "maybe".
This job isn't as much a career as it is a lifestyle. Not that I mind getting calls. After all, there are only three seasons of "Scrubs" out on DVD, and "MacGyver" was canceled 15 years ago. Plus every man needs to put in his 2 to 6 hours of work a day to feel useful.
This is a welcome and still in some ways displeasing change from six months ago. I had a job a hated, and I barely had time for family, friends, or the nervous breakdown that I was quickly approaching.
But now I am truly blessed to have time for all of those things. Ironically, none of them seem to be around anymore.
What a terrbile post.